Budget-conscious folks get anxious during the holidays. So much pressure to spend! Or entertain. Or take expensive trips.
It’s a shame that all the expectations of the holiday season can bully us into spending beyond our means or stretching our budgets to an uncomfortable level. The holidays are meant to be a time of togetherness, joy, and appreciation. When we put material goods at the center of the holidays, it cheapens their true meaning—their true purpose.
When I talk about Self-Wealth, I urge people to live holistically and intentionally. To me, that means living and working with Purpose, aiming for financial Security, and keeping Hope at the center of your life. The same principles can be applied to the holidays: Remember their Purpose, don’t overspend (which will aid your financial Security), and go into the season with a heart full of Hope—hope for mended relationships, harmony, and peace.
With Self-Wealth in mind, I decided to create a little list of low-cost activities that you can do with your family or friends. You don’t have to spend gobs of money on a luxury cruise or an elaborate dinner party* to bring your loved ones closer together. Give one or two of these seventeen ideas a try and let me know how it goes!
- Have a hot chocolate and movie night
- Learn a new skill together (woodworking, ceramics, painting)
- Bake a family recipe
- Plan an outdoor adventure
- Visit a conservatory (especially if you live in a cold climate like I do!)
- Sing together
- Decorate (and make decorations)
- Learn about others’ holiday traditions (and pick up a few ideas)
- Attend a school play (it’s cheaper than the symphony and there are usually holiday productions!)
- Visit someone who needs a visitor
- Bring treats to your neighbors
- Shovel someone’s walk or do a favor
- Do an at-home facial/spa night
- Enjoy a family game night
- Cook a “fancy dinner” together (and get dressed up!)
*It’s not that dinner parties and cruises are bad—you just shouldn’t feel like you have to do something grandiose and expensive for the holidays.
Have fun this holiday season! Relax, enjoy each other's company, and reflect on your abundant wealth (self-wealth, that is!). Happy holidays.